It's not often I approach the 'new post' field without a story to tell you. With nothing more than what's going on in my head, in my little world. But here goes. General musings, virtual ramblings, rubbish by any other name.
Firstly, I've been thinking about Thora Hird a lot these last few days. How she reminded me of my Grandmother. I'm thinking of her because tonight I'm going to the theatre to see Talking Heads by Alan Bennett - and her 'A cream cracker under the settee' is, for me, the best of all the Talking Heads series. It always has me weeping uncontrollably though, so I'm hoping it's not on the bill tonight. I'm taking tissues just in case.
I've also been thinking a lot about Florida and how I might ever manage a transatlantic relationship. The American Boy and me have been talking daily since he went back. I enjoy talking to him and he makes me laugh lots. But really, where is this going? He's back at the back end of the summer, so let's see. Never say never, but equally, let's not make life hard for ourselves.
My other big topic is how my life seems to be drifting a little bit out of control. I'm getting way behind on the day to day stuff. I have a ridiculous social life, and never really manage to find time to do the laundry, to clean the house, to go supermarket shopping. I need to sort this out. I need to get back in control of it all. But it's all kind of dreary, no? How to rediscover a love of housework? If anyone's got any ideas, they'd be more than welcome.
I also need to find more time to work my blogroll. If you haven't seen me at your's for a while, I apologise. I'm trying desperately to keep up.
Finally, I keep thinking of my cousin. She's still with us, still soldiering on. Every time my Mother calls I expect that it's going to be that call.
So with all this in mind I'm making some 'mid-term' resolutions.
These are they:
1. Find time for housework. Recognise that having to rush around every time someone visits is no fun. Keep on top of it and it takes less time.
2. Enjoy calm, quiet moments. Leave at least one weekend in four empty, without plans for visiting or for visitors.
3. Try to socialise only on weekends, and one schoolnight per week.
4. Get back to the gym. Summer is coming and this goose is getting fat. Not a great combination.
5. Blogroll. Work it. Visit blogs I love and find new ones too. Make time to do this regularly.
6. Get good sleep and make sure there's always breakfast in the house for the next morning. No more breakfast on the run.
7. Speak to my family more often, keep up with friends. This is harder than you'd imagine.
So these are my seven new rules. Things that I need to get sorted.
Oh, and I still need to find me a husband. And preferably one who lives on this side of the ocean.
Wish me luck, dearest Reader, I think I may need it.