vendredi 28 novembre 2008

The shock of the new

In the office we listen to RTL2. It's our compromise. Debbie wants classic rock. I'm happy with classic rock, but would prefer a bit of pop thrown in. I at least want to hear American Boy once a day.

So RTL2 gives us a bit of rock, a bit of pop and lots of 'old' stuff. By 'old', I mean 80's and 90's. Not old at all really.

However, we had a moment yesterday afternoon. I was happily singing along to 'Sweet Dreams' by the Eurythmics - quite the vision I was too, as you can well imagine - and Debbie said she didn't know the song.

"How do you not know this song? It's a classic 80's track"

"Well, I think my dad likes it" said Debbie. She sure knows how to hurt, that one.

It turns out that the song wasn't released when she was a small child, as I imagined. It was actually released before she was born.

The song was released in 1983 and Debbie was born in 1985. This really stunned me. It made me feel every one of my thirtysomething years.

What I don't understand is how someone born in 1985 is already at work, holding down a decent job?

Surely she should still be at school?

19 commentaires:

Spirit Vapors a dit…

pass the scotch old pal, I hear ya (I work in a university!!)

travelling, but not in love a dit…

Fair fairy - that must dreadful - although quite good for pretty young things to look at, I'd imagine...he he

Lane Mathias a dit…

Shocked isn't it. In 1985 I was already ..well let's not go there:-)

Lane Mathias a dit…

That could even be shocking:-)

travelling, but not in love a dit…

Lane, I'd just left school.... aaargh!

softinthehead a dit…

The young can be sooo cruel. Is it really that long ago? Scarily I was already married with not one but two children - uughh! I was a big Eurythmics fan and can vividly remember driving through the streets of JAFFA (!) windows wide open singing along to this one. Thanks for the memory! :)

Daisy a dit…

Ouch! But you've just got to feel sorry for her, she missed out on some real classics! PS I want to work in your office it sounds like fun.

travelling, but not in love a dit…

Softy, Jaffa, Israel? Surely not? And yes, it was that long ago. eek!

Daisy, she did indeed miss some classics. And you are welcome anytime. I was teaching Debbie the hokey cokey the other day. She truly thinks that I am the oddest boss....

Anonyme a dit…

I was born in 1983 and am still at uni, plus I know the song. Makes you feel any better?

travelling, but not in love a dit…

marjolein, that makes me feel better, but also older....ho hum.

Anonyme a dit…

1983? - I'm fairly sure that's a sackable offence - trust me, I work in HR!

travelling, but not in love a dit…

Oh Big C, if only it was. If only I could sack everyone slimmer, younger and better looking than me. Well, the first two anyway - the third doesn't exist, ha ha...

Daryl a dit…

For sure she needs not to speak about her age relative to music .. just my opinion .. from my perch of over 50

:-Daryl

Anonyme a dit…

Age is a figure and i dont do figures , I am creative !

Victor a dit…

I'm just 6 months away from turning 60 and looking forward to my senior's card and the cheap travel and movies that come with it.

Did you say Sweet Dreams?

travelling, but not in love a dit…

Daryl, I agree. She's just making us all feel old.

VM - I like that line. Classy>

Victor, a senior's card sounds pretty good - just not yet, eh?

Unknown a dit…

ugh. i get reminded of that almost everyday. i actually 'supervise' people half my age in a retail store. can you say 'romper room'??? meanwhile -- i actually don't ACT my own age anyway. maybe this is what i get in return. ;-)

travelling, but not in love a dit…

Mike, I also feel that this is what I get for not acting my age too....but hey, it's kind of worth it....he he

Louise a dit…

I remember when I used to think anyone born after 1969 was a mere baby. (Since I was born in the 60's, anyone born in the 70's was small fry.) (You make the "grown-up league!)

But I'm sure you WERE a vision singing to the song!