mardi 8 juillet 2008

The little mermaid

So, I'm back in Paris. It's been a funny few days.

Spending time with my Mom means embracing the unknown, expecting the unexpected, preparing to be stunned. Not just on many levels, but on each and every level.

This time it started on the drive from Paris to her house in Birmingham.

Taking the tunnel from France to the UK, She was worrying that the doors to the train - you know, you drive your car on a train and the train goes through the tunnel, then you drive off - anyway she was worrying that the doors to the train weren't watertight.

"We don't actually go 'underwater' Mom"

"Of course we do. How else do we get there?"

"We go through a tunnel"

"But the tunnel is underwater. We don't go on a bridge across the sea"

"Well that's true - there is no bridge. And the tunnel is, technically underwater. But the train doesn't go anywhere near the water"

"How?"

"Are you expecting to see fish at the window?"

"No! Maybe. Yes. Oh I don't know. You treat me like I'm stupid. You and your brother both treat me like I'm stupid. I'm an intelligent woman you know."

And just like that, it became my fault.

Now if I was having this conversation with my 5 year old nephew, then maybe I'd be a little bit more forgiving. But alas, not with a sixty-seven year old self-proclaimed 'intelligent woman'.

Certainly not with an intelligent woman who owns shares in the tunnel....!

Ye gods.

10 commentaires:

A Lewis a dit…

Yes, my dear, but remember....it's the 5-year old that will ask you if you're a gayer.

travelling, but not in love a dit…

Ha! Ain't that the truth.

aims a dit…

She owns shares in the tunnel?! OMG!!!

travelling, but not in love a dit…

Aims, she owns like £50 worth or something stupid. The bare minimum.

Don't get picturing me as some kind of tunnel heiress, waiting for Mommy to die so I can inherit the tunnel!

Lola a dit…

Isn't the tunnel company constantly on the brink of bankruptcy?

travelling, but not in love a dit…

Lola, you're not wrong. it was a 'caught up in the moment' investment me thinks.

But I think they're heading towards profit this year, if they're not already there.

Nonetheless, she could have invested her tuppence ha'penny better, no doubt.

Daryl a dit…

Your mom and mine, were she still alive, could have some great conversations ... I suspect they are both Gracie Allens ...

:-Daryl

travelling, but not in love a dit…

Darryl, you're not wrong.

I fear (hope) that they broke the mould when they made mine.

I just hope (fear) that I'm not going to turn into her....

Anonyme a dit…

Haha oh dear... well, tunnels are a difficult concept. Actually, no they're not. ;)

travelling, but not in love a dit…

Marjolein, they're absolutely not a difficult concept....honest!