jeudi 17 juillet 2008

Holiday. Celebrate.

I'm off tomorrow. How very exciting!

So the trip is Paris > Osaka > Noumea, New Caledonia > Efate, Vanuatu > Noumea > Paris (via Tokyo). It's a lot of hours in the air, but I'm planning to sleep, watch some movies, sleep, read a little, sleep. You get the picture.


I'm not sure how much internet access I'll have along the way, and so I'm guessing posts will be few and far between over the next couple of weeks or so. But don't fear, I'll be back - with tales.....

A while back I travelled from London to Beijing by train - via Brussels, Moscow, Siberia and Mongolia on the trans Siberian and trans Mongolian railways. It was an amazing trip, with moments of hilarity mixed in with moments of sheer horror.

"Why are we doing this?" was a big question , as we sat in the carriage of the train on the fourth consecutive day, nothing but cheap Russian vodka to warm our souls.

We all concluded that the reason to travel was to come back armed with tales to tell. Surely that's exactly what travellers through the ages have done? Although, I guess that Marco Polo never came back with tales of dodgy disco's in Ulaan Bataar and eating mouse on a stick in Beijing. But maybe he did.

Whatever happens on this trip, you can be assured that you'll be reading about it here.

I wish you all a lovely couple of weeks, and we'll meet up again soon.

22 commentaires:

Lane Mathias a dit…

You don't do trips by halves do you!:-)

Take care, have fun and looking forward to hearing ALL about it! x

doomed to be fabulous a dit…

Have a wonderful adventure! I can't wait to read about it all.

Brett a dit…

Travel safely come home soon.

travelling, but not in love a dit…

Lane, Doomed, Brett ....

Thanks for the kind wishes, I'll let you know all about it when I get back - if not before ... ;-)

Ben a dit…

Dear Sir,

I am writing to apply for the position of Cheeky Luggage Carrier as recently advertised...

travelling, but not in love a dit…

Ben, the job is yours.

Now there's just the matter of uniform to sort out... ;-)

Ben a dit…

http://tinyurl.com/6xaqrd

Maybe?

Have a great trip :)

travelling, but not in love a dit…

Ben, I like it.

Happily, it's not so over the top that it will overshadow my outfit.

One can't have the staff looking more fabulous than oneself, dontyouknow.

You pick it up at the dry-cleaners and meet me at Roissy - AF292. See you there....

CawfeeGuy a dit…

have a wonderful trip! you'll be missed...

Anonyme a dit…

Looking forward to all the travel stories!

And you ate mouse on a stick...?

tornwordo a dit…

Have a marvelous time. I hope there's more good than horror, lol.

travelling, but not in love a dit…

Cawffeguy, Marjolein, Torny,

Thanks...I'll report back soon!

And mouse on a stick was like chicken.

Which makes you wonder - when all of these horrid things taste like chicken, why don't people just eat chicken.

I guess mouse is cheaper. Don't tell Mickey.

aims a dit…

You know I will miss you. I always feel we have a special bond - and that band is going to be stretched to it's limits as you fly far far away!

Have fun darling - have nothing but fun! Oh wait...a little resting is well deserved as well - but really - have fun!

travelling, but not in love a dit…

Aims, I'll miss you too.

And I can't believe I'm going away at this point in your story! I'm going to have to catch up in airport lounges - look out for my comments...

Take care sweetie, enjoy the next couple of weeks and normal service will be resumed soon!

x

Louise a dit…

I guess mouse on a stick IS a tale to tell!

And I'm jealous you can sleep on a plane. I would give nearly anything to sleep while flying.

travelling, but not in love a dit…

Louise - everyone I ever travel with is jealous of it. I can fall asleep during the taxiing to the runway and wake up when we hit the ground at the other end.

It's an art form. But I do usually arrive hungry, having missed the food!

Daryl a dit…

Travel safely and hurry back .. you will be missed

:-Daryl

travelling, but not in love a dit…

Thanks Daryl...in the words of the song...

"I'll beeee baaaack sooooon!"

(apologies to Lionel Bart)

Unknown a dit…

ME: "You travel WAY too much."

YOU: "Jealous much?"

ME: "Yeah!"


You're going to have the BEST time. Can't wait to read about your adventures.

Breezy a dit…

Bon Voyage I'd much rather be here weeding the onions. Honest. No really. I would. Sigh

Anonyme a dit…

Bon Voage cariad bach enjoi xxx

Swearing Mother a dit…

Have a great time Travelling, take care of yourself.