mardi 1 juillet 2008

I live in Paris now

OK, it's nearly midnight and I'm a little shaky after two very fraught days (which involved many trials, tribulations and special moments). But I just wanted to drop by and let you know some of the highs and lows...

Breakages : surprisingly few. Just a six drawer chest that seems to have been dropped. It's now held together by tape. And a bedside lamp which'll need replacing, as will his unbroken partner on 'the other side'. A big scratch on the bed head. A leg off the drinks cabinet (oh yes, I have a drinks cabinet, important piece of furniture, that one). And two glasses. Not bad for 450km.

Trials and Tribulations : Ikea delivering the wrong wardrobes. Spent an hour on hold and going through the phone system. New ones will arrive in 10 days, just as I head off on holiday. 'The couture' is now hanging on hastily bought clothes rails.

The other thing that has been sent to try me is the troupe of tape-happy removals men. Everything is covered in tape. Everything. Even things that don't need taping. It truly is driving me nuts.

Special moments : Possibly the best moment was returning to the Lyon flat to discover my mother (here to help, apparently) entertaining the three Algerian removals men.

She was belting out a wonderful rendition of la Marseillaise, the French national anthem (it's the only 'french' she knows). They took it in good spirits, it seems. Not too offended. Although I did expect to find my boxes full of spit.

Oh, and I've managed to get myself a dinner date for next week with a real-life Parisien - albeit one from Buenos Aires....

So the move is over, and the life begins.

Did I tell you that I live in Paris now?

It seems to suit me, so far.

14 commentaires:

A Lewis a dit…

Ahh, Gay Paris! I'm sure it'll suit you just fine. And me when I visit.

travelling, but not in love a dit…

Lewis, come on over....

CawfeeGuy a dit…

3 years after we moved my then boyfriend, now husband,from queens to Staten Island, we're still finding tape and numbered labels from the movers. it's like a never ending easter egg hunt.

congrats on the new place, don't forget to keep a can of tuna and a box of salt in the cupboard (old italian superstition) and to christen all the rooms with massive amounts of sex.

aims a dit…

I love cawfeeguy's suggestions!

TBNIL - who knows what the future will bring? I think you will handle whatever comes with class and style and perhaps show gay Paree a thing or three.

Congrats on getting there - too bad about the breakage. But - as long as you can live with it? Ah well then...

oh btw - is your Mom with you then right now?

Daryl a dit…

Ah Paris .. I cant wait to hear about your new adventures ...

:-Daryl

Swearing Mother a dit…

Welcome To Your New Home, Travelling.

Wishing you many happy and memorable times.

Anonyme a dit…

if I knew your address I would send u a card - so u have to mak edo with an internet hug and a big hope you have a lovely time in your new place

Anonyme a dit…

best wishes in gay paree! ooh I'd love to visit!

Hope the moving continues to be a success. Nasty business, that moving, altogether.

travelling, but not in love a dit…

CG, I'm hoping, but unfortunately it's more likely to be achievement on the tuna and salt front than with sex in every room....

Aims, my Mom was with me, but is home now. Bless her, she made drinks and bought ice creams....

travelling, but not in love a dit…

Daryl, Sweary, VM, Thanks for the wishes. I'll keep you posted with paris happenings, obviously...!

travelling, but not in love a dit…

Alan. It truly is a nasty business, moving.

And come on over, the more the merrier!

tornwordo a dit…

Welcome home!

travelling, but not in love a dit…

Hey Torny, thanks. It's taken quite some time, but I'm there!

Megan McGurk a dit…

Cheers to a fresh start and your new home, Travelling.